Tuesday, January 10, 2012

In training

We have a boy in training. Potty training. Ugh. My least favorite parenting activity. I don't know why. It just is. Even before I had kids I knew it would be. My idea was just to let them decide when they were ready and let them steer the course. Either plan on being home or short quick errands. I am also not above bribery. No reason to not reward them with an M&M or two!! Ask them all the time. (I still ask before we leave some place!) I had no intentions of visiting every restroom in every store or restaurant in Raleigh. Other than that, I can't claim to know the road to victory.

Q was pretty easy. He "played" on the kiddy potty a few times and then on February 14th, 2010 he walked in and said he wasn't wearing a pull up anymore. And he didn't. Even night time was pretty easy.

I guess I am scared of the mess. The grocery store is already a hassle, then you add in potty breaks across the store, an "I need to potty" the minute you get in the car etc etc. And I have boys. How easy are boys?! You open the door and drop the pants. Wait until Little Miss starts...ugh.

Lately B has been having a fit about wearing his diaper and/or getting diaper changes. But he never mentioned wanting to wear underware or using the potty. Then finally I asked him if he wanted to use the potty and he tried. So Sunday Chad went up into the attic and grabbed the training potty. He went once.

Today since we were homebound, I thought it was as good a time as any to give it the ole' college try. I brought the toilet down stairs asked him if he needed to go when it was time to get dressed. He took off his pants and diaper and they never made another appearance. He spent the whole day naked. His choice. He did great! He used the potty three times and all three times in the potty. All by himself. At one point we were upstairs and he went running downstairs to go.
I'm so proud of my baby big boy. I can't believe we are there already.

No comments:

Post a Comment